Luscious and cheesy
Triple Cheese: Luscious and cheesy
Triple Cheese, winner of the 2006 KVR Developer Challenge, is a truly unique freeware synthesizer. No traditional oscillators or wavetables, no FM or phase distortion and no analogue modelled filters here. A touch unusual and a little cheesy, Triple Cheese is quite capable of some surprising sounds.
- 3 comb filters for sound generation (Read more below)
- 8 different modes per comb filter module (11 modes total)
- Polyphonic (up to 16 voices), duophonic, monophonic (retriggered) or legato mode
- Adjustable portamento (glide) time
- 2 ADSR envelopes with falling, flat or rising sustain stage
- 2 host-syncable LFOs: 1 regular and 1 “Vibrator” with delay and amplitude modulation
- VCA with amplitude modulation, pan
- 5 built-in effects (2x chorus, flanger, phaser, 3x delay, reverb)
- Modulation sources include wheels, velocity, pressure, breath, key follow, random
- MIDI learn / unlearn for hardware control
- Scalable UI from 70% to 200%
- Skinnable UI
- 170 factory presets
Sights and sounds
- Audio Demos
Cheese cheese cheese
Triple Cheese avoids classic synthesis techniques—no subtractive, frequency modulation (FM) or additive synthesis. Rather, it employs various types of comb filter, often in series, to generate and modify sound. Think of the comb filters as very short chromatically tuned delays. Three modules are arranged in series and either generate their own sound, or process the output of the previous module.
The features for each module can result in sounds that might seem a little “cheesy” or retro (think early 1980s digital synths). But when pushed, you will find Triple Cheese creates some surprisingly lush sounds.
For extra flavour, Triple Cheese comes with a choice of delay-based effects. Although basic, the essentials are covered: chorus, flanger, phaser, delay, or reverb. A special LFO with speed and depth controls can be used to give your sound extra movement and warmth.
Another way to add flavour: parameter modulation. Many of the key parameters in Triple Cheese can be modulated from a variety of sources: Select one of the classic performance controls (modwheel, velocity, pressure, key follow etc.) or an automatic modulation source (envelope, LFO or Vibrator).
Triple Cheese 1.2.1 (revision 3898)
Released October 7, 2015
This product is a free download and does not require a serial number to unlock it.
* About Linux: Please be aware the Linux versions of our plug-ins are still considered beta. While the plug-ins are stable, we are not able to provide the same level of support for these products as we do for the macOS and Windows versions. Support is provided via the Linux and u-he communities on our forum .
Mac OS X 10.7 or newer
Windows 7 or newer
- Host software / DAW
- 1GB RAM, more recommended
- 50MB free disk space
- 1000 × 600 or larger display
- Modern CPU (Sandy Bridge or newer recommended)
Triple Cheese is not a standalone product, it requires host software. Triple Cheese is compatible with nearly all DAWs.
AUv2, VST2, AAX*
* AAX requires Pro Tools 10.3.7 or later