Experimental research reverb
Protoverb: prototype reverb
A natural sounding reverb based on the concept of a room simulator. Protoverb is an experimental researchware plug-in, developed to aid our research. Download and use it for free.
Sights and sounds
- Audio Demos
Drums --:-- / --:--
Drum loop run through Protoverb. First the drums dry, then Protoverb turned on.
Synth 1 --:-- / --:--
Simple synth riff processed by Protoverb. First dry, then Protoverb activated.
Synth 2 --:-- / --:--
Same synth loop with a different Protoverb setting. First dry, then Protoverb activated.
Feel it in the air
What is Protoverb?
Protoverb is an experimental room simulator reverb. Most algorithmic reverbs try to avoid resonances or model the reflections of sound from a room’s walls. Protoverb does the opposite. It builds up as many room resonances as possible, modelling the body of air in the room. No need to modulate or colour the signal. The result is a very natural sounding reverberation with interesting characteristics:
- Notes held for a longer time tend to build up resonance, as if the air takes a while to get excited
- Multiple instruments remain distinct, without disappearing in a wash
- When you play a short melody, the room seems to repeat a ghost echo of that melody
These properties are found in churches and large halls, but are rarely in conventional algorithmic reverbs.
To achieve this, Protoverb works with many parallel, serial and networked delays. With such a structure, no mathematical formula can make it sound right, it is down to trial and error (and luck) using random values. Protoverb generates random delay line lengths, networks and feedback strategies. If you are lucky you will find a great setting, which you can send to us.
The text box at the bottom of Protoverb’s interface contains a text string made up of two random parts. The first half dictates the network structure, strategies for spatial layout and distribution of delay taps, strategies for finding useful delay lengths and so on. The second half is a seed for a pseudo-random number generator—used to set various parameters such as the average delay length, which prime number to choose (if any) etcetera.
You can either edit the text, or randomise each part independently using the buttons below the text box.
Protoverb 1.0 (revision 4102)
Released December 15, 2015
This product is a free download and does not require a serial number to unlock it.
* About Linux: Please be aware the Linux versions of our plug-ins are still considered beta. While the plug-ins are stable, we are not able to provide the same level of support for these products as we do for the macOS and Windows versions. Support is provided via the Linux and u-he communities on our forum .
Mac OS X 10.7 or newer
Windows 7 or newer
- Host software / DAW
- 1GB RAM, more recommended
- 50MB free disk space
- 1000 × 600 or larger display
- Modern CPU (Sandy Bridge or newer recommended)
Protoverb is not a standalone product, it requires host software. Protoverb is compatible with nearly all DAWs.
AUv2, VST2, AAX*
* AAX requires Pro Tools 10.3.7 or later